Issue: Cisco Router Link Light Blinking Orange
The link light blinking orange on a Cisco router indicates a duplex mismatch error. In telecommunication, a duplex communication system refers to point-to-point communication and there are two types, namely full-duplex and half-duplex. In the half-duplex communication, only a single port can send or receive data at a time. On the other hand, in full-duplex, all nodes can send and receive data simultaneously. Continue reading this page to fix the issue Cisco router link light blinking orange.
Cisco's Router Link Light Blinking Orange Color
To fix the blinking orange link light on your Cisco router, follow the steps mentioned below.
Before starting, verify whether you have properly connected the network cable between the router and the switch.
- Cisco router link light blinking orange issue.
If necessary, restart the router and reconnect the network cable to fix
- configure terminal’ command.
Next, enter into the global configuration mode of the router using the ‘S1#
- interface fastethernet 0/1’ command to enter the interface configuration mode.
Use the ‘S1(config)#
- duplex full’ command.
Configure the interface duplex mode using the ‘S1(config-if)#
- speed 100’ command to configure the interface speed.
Next, type the ‘S1(config-if)#
- end’ command.
Once completed, return to the privileged EXEC mode using the ‘S1(config)#
- copy running-config startup-config’ command in the Terminal window.
To save the running configuration to the startup configuration, enter the ‘S1#
- your Cisco router.
Doing so will fix the link light blinking problem on
- auto-MDIX (automatic medium dependent interface crossover) feature.If the problem persists, enable the
To do so, enter into global configuration mode and interface configuration mode.
- duplex auto’ command to configure the interface to negotiate the duplex mode with the connected device automatically.Use the ‘S1(config-if)#
- speed auto’ command.To automatically negotiate the speed with the connected devices, enter the ‘S1(config-if)#
- auto-MDIX feature, enter ‘S1(config-if)# mdix auto’ in the Terminal window.To enable the
- end’ in the Terminal window. To exit and return to the privileged EXEC mode, enter ‘S1(config)#
- copy running-config startup-config’ command.To save the running configuration to startup configuration, use the ‘S1#
- Cisco router link light blinking orange issue.This will fix the